7. Patuxai, Vientiane, Laos
Patuxai is also known as gate of triumph or victory gate located in Vientiane of Laos. This victory monument was dedicated to those who lost their lives in fight to gain independence from France. The construction of Patuxai was started in 1957 and completed in 1958, was designed by Laotian architect Tham Sayasthsena. Patuxai have gateway on it’s four sides. The four corners of gateways are designed with statues of naga king, mythical symbol of the country.
The stupa towers and lotus leaves in exterior makes Patuxai more attractive. There is also a museum housed in the second floor of the monument, displays pictures of heroes who fought for the country. The monument also provided a viewing gallery at top floor, bring excellent view of the city.
Patuxai is a war monument in the centre of Vientiane, Laos, which was built between 1957 and 1968. The Patuxai is dedicated to those who fought in the struggle for independence from France. In romanising the name from the Laotian language, it is variously transliterated as Patuxai, Patuxay, Patousai and Patusai. It is also called Patuxai Arch or the Arc de Triomphe of Vientiane as it resembles the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. However, it is typically Laotian in design, decorated with mythological creatures such as the kinnari.
Patuxai is a compound word, ‘Patuu’ or ‘patu’ meaning a «door» or «gateway» and ‘Xai’, derivative of the Sanskrit ‘Jaya’, which means «victory». Thus it means “Victory Gate”. The Patuxai was built during a turbulent period Lao history. It was built when Laos was a constitutional monarchy and was originally known simply as the «Anousavali», dedicated memory of the Laotian soldiers who died during World War II and the independence war from France in 1949.
The monument was built using American funds and cement actually intended to build a new airport. The Royal Laotian Government instead built the monument, which earned it the nickname of the «vertical runway».